July 18 marks Nelson Mandela’s birthday. On this day, we celebrate the spirit of the legendary anti-apartheid icon and activist. People are encouraged to give at least 67 minutes of their time to make a change and do something positive. In recognition of Mandela’s years of public service, use the day to give, be kind, empower people around you. Happy 94 birthday Madiba!
Mandela Day was established in November 2009, an initiative of the United Nations.
Take action, inspire, change and make every day a Mandela Day. You can celebrate July 18 by:
- 1. Making a new friend. Meeting someone from a different cultural background.
- 2. Reading to someone who can’t at a local home for the blind.
- 3. Fixing the potholes in your street or neighborhood.
- 4. Helping out at the local animal shelter. Dogs without homes still need a walk and a bit of love.
- 5. Finding out from your local library if it has a story hour and offer to read during it.
- 6. Offering to take an elderly neighbor who can’t drive to do their shopping/chores.
- 7. Organizing a litter cleanup day in your area.